Total Pageviews

Monday, November 3, 2008

Still Faithful

The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness. Lamentations 3: 22, 23 (New American Standard Bible)


My daughter, Kenna, took my granddaughter to the doctor recently. Before the exam a nurse took some information for Dakota. Asking the typical questions “Has anyone in your family had…” she was answered each time by Kenna with “Yes, my Dad.” After the sixth or seventh answer of “My Dad” the nurse looked bewildered and asked “Is he still alive?” Kenna answered, “Oh yes, he’s still alive and even survived a brain tumor.” The nurse gasped and said loudly “Oh my!”

Many of you are aware of the answer to prayer I just had concerning a third brain surgery. I was having discharge of a clear fluid from my ear which the doctors thought was cerebral spinal fluid. My surgeon had planned on going into the ear from behind, through the skull, to fix the problem. After consulting with 3 neuro-surgeons who all said it needed to be done this way there was something that was nagging at my doctor. My family was very worried about this surgery going into an area that had already been insulted with 2 prior brain surgeries. When my surgeon came in to see me before the surgery he said to me and my wife, Tommie, “You know, I’ve been thinking about this surgery and I just don’t feel right in going into the skull to get into the ear area. I believe I’ll take another course.” He went on to tell me that instead of cutting into my skull he would first try going into the ear canal and see what he could find there and if he did find a spinal fluid leak he would then take the skull route into the back of my ear and fix the problem. To make a long story short when he went into my ear canal he found the two prior brain surgeries had caused the ear canal in that ear to fold over. When he lifted the fold he found a large lesion there that was running with a clear fluid. That was the problem. If he had gone the route through my skull he never would have found the lesion and the problem would not have been fixed.

Coincidence? After having the input of 3 different neuo doctors to go with the skull cut what was it that told my surgeon to hold up and try another avenue? I had a lot of people praying for me, my family and the doctor. I believe that nagging feeling wasn’t the doctor’s but was a direct answer to prayer and the Lord directing the surgeon to go the illogical ear canal route to get to the source of the problem. It didn’t make sense until Dr. Gardner lifted the fold in that ear canal then he marveled at what had happened. The problem was fixed and I spent 1 night in the hospital and was home the following day. It would have been easier if God had just healed me outright and no surgery had been needed but I never would have seen His hand in all this. He is a personal Savior and He works sweetly and individually with each of our needs. He might work differently for you in your need which is an awesome thought. As we pray He intervenes in our lives face-to-face taking care of our unique needs. This has been a good reminder of the power of prayer. Through it all He’s still faithful.

Ken

www.devotionstoday.blogspot.com

No comments: