Total Pageviews

Monday, October 27, 2008

Lowering the Ol' Blood Pressure

Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Romans 13:1 (New American Standard Bible)


I love fall. It’s such a wonderful time. The air takes on crispness, trees show nice color and there is an excitement with approaching holidays and family time. I especially love fall in a presidential election year as I know it means the votes will soon be cast and months of listening to endless candidate promises, attacks on rivals and continual media revelations of candidates’ pasts will hopefully be coming to an end. By the first Tuesday in November the veins in my neck stand out a little more and the blood pressure is up a few points.

So what do I do if a candidate I didn’t want to win wins? I do take comfort in the knowledge that nothing happens without the consent of the Lord in earthly matters. No kings or kingdoms, or presidents for that matter, achieve any high office without God allowing it. It is evident throughout Scripture. God established the kings of Israel beginning with Saul. He worked in the lives of different Gentile kings like the pharaohs of Egypt who interacted with Joseph and Moses, Nebuchadnezzar, Darius the Mede and dozens of other leaders in both the old and new testaments. Not one of them ascended to their thrones without God’s permission and plan. He not only ordained their time but the purpose they would serve in doing His will whether they were aware of it or not.

When listening to “I'm…and I endorse this message” for the 50th time starts making the old BP spike I have to stop, take a breath and give thanks to God that as I vote, the choice is really God’s. Whoever sits in the Oval Office is there by God’s will, for no leader, king or kingdom is established without His design. Any president whether we like him or not cannot operate outside of that Spirit and Resolve. The Lord has established him and the Lord’s ultimate determination will be accomplished even through unwilling vessels. It is evident throughout history so why should the next four years be a problem for Him? The Lord reigns and His plan is being fulfilled through governments and reigning leaders. I believe His perfect wisdom and total control are enough to outdo any of the best laid plans of mice and men. That brings some rest to my frustration and yes, does tend to lower the blood pressure. God is in control and no authority is ever established without his consent. I’ll vote for that. Praise His Holy Name.

Ken

www.devotionstoday.blogspot.com

No comments: