Total Pageviews

Monday, September 21, 2009

Just Plain Scary


Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time now and forever. Amen. Jude 25 (New American Standard Bible)


We’re a couple of days away from the first day of autumn and this past weekend I put my fall decorations in the front yard. One of them is a happy looking inflatable harvest scarecrow. When my 2½ year old granddaughter, Elizabeth, saw him she immediately buried her face in her mama’s shoulder saying she was afraid of him. We immediately took her out of the area and soothed her but when she and her mom left my house Elizabeth said, “Good bye Pawpaw,” and looking at the scarecrow said “Good bye Scary.”

Now you know as well as I my harvest scarecrow is purely decorative fun and is no threat to anyone or anything. But even though I am an adult I believe that, like Elizabeth, I sometimes see things outside of their proper context as looming horrors that will do me under.

Christ as my protector probably takes these incidences with a smile, much as I saw Elizabeth’s fear of this inanimate object. All I needed to do to handle this situation was to simply pull the plug on Elizabeth’s specter and he would have been immediately subdued. How hard is it for God to do the same for my own specters? Is He not the God of all power and authority? As the God who measures the universe with the span of His hand can’t He work through any problem I encounter? In an effort not to make light of people’s problems I do believe that the Living God sees any problem we encounter as simple and easily taken care of as Elizabeth’s. What may seem like a Scary the Scarecrow may in fact be to the Lord a problem just filled with air and His answer may be as simple as pulling a plug. He says of Himself “Behold, I am the God of all flesh; is there anything too difficult for me (Jeremiah 32:27)?” Jesus was right when He said in this world we would have troubles (John 16:33). It’s true and at times I’m hiding my face in the shoulder of the Father crying “Scary.” But in His sure way He smiles at my troubles knowing they can be as easily handled as a harvest scarecrow. Now that’s the greatest comfort. In fact that isn’t scary at all.

Ken

www.devotionstoday.blogspot.com

No comments: